Memories, light the corners of my mind
Misty water coloured memories, of the way we were

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

RIP Jaksa Kelez

This morning we received the tragic news that our classmate Jaksa passed away suddenly on Sunday 29 November 2015. He was much loved and will be missed by his classmates.



Click on pic to enlarge.  Picture created by Charmaine Dhondy icse 1976

I've been trying my hand at watercolour painting and this morning after receiving the tragic news of Jaksa's death, I wanted to paint Mt Fuji and cherry blossoms - don't know why. And soon after I painted, these words of a song came to mind:

Chotto matte kudasai (please wait a moment)
Please excuse me while I cry
Seems sayonara means goodbye
But no one ever told me why

Sakura (cherry blossoms) was in the Spring
When our hearts found songs to sing
But Sakura has gone away
And so has our friend so they say

Chotto matte kudasai 
Please excuse me while I cry
Seems sayonara means goodbye
But no one ever told me why



Dedicating my painting to Jaksa even though it's poorly painted, Someday when I can paint a whole lot better, I will paint this one again. But perhaps in that land of peace and love, the cherry blossoms are blooming again for Jaksa.

Some years ago Jaksa wrote to me and he hoped one day he would sail his ship to New Zealand. Sadly I will never see him again in this lifetime but someday somewhere in another time and place our paths will perhaps cross again.

RIP sweet Jaksa.  xoxo

Class of ISC 1975 and ICSE 1974 please leave some comments and memories of Jaksa. Others are welcome to leave their comments too.

Update
I looked up the significance of Mt Fuji and Cherry Blossoms and this is what I found:

  • Mt Fuji - A text of the 10th century, Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, says that the name came from "immortal" 
  • Cherry Blossoms - In Japan, cherry blossoms symbolize clouds due to their nature of blooming en masse, besides being an enduring metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life

Information source: Wikipedia



3 comments:

  1. Ila , this is a beautiful tribute to my best friend in the whole wide world , who we are all going to miss so much ! Jaksa loved his Cathedral gang, and he loved his life in Bombay, his adopted home ! Class of '75 , I have made a collage from some of the fotos he had sent me over the years , and posted it on Face Book. Maybe Ila can post it in here for you ! He was so sad that he could not be with you all for your 40th class reunion, but now , he's going to be a part of it, partying with you all from up above, with that wonderful sense of humor and fun he always had , and abusing in Hindi in his Croatian accent ! Loved that man , dearly !
    Ironically, the foto above was taken by me on his last visit here, on Utpal's Birthday - 27 Nov, 2011. Who would imagine that exactly 4 years later , he would leave us on that same date ? !
    Enjoy your celebrations and celebrate his times with you all. He would have wanted that !
    RIP , my darling Jaksa ! I will always love you ! Oceans & time could not diminish our friendship and affection , and neither will heaven & earth !
    xo- Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charmaine for sharing such lovely memories and for the picture. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Dearest Jaksa,

    Like the immortal Jimi Hendrix you too have 'kissed the sky .. '
    You were loved by all and have left behind a hole in our hearts.
    We will remember you forever, our gentle friend. Goodbye.

    Dinesh on behalf of the class

    ReplyDelete